Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Favorite Actresses: Grace Kelly

Of all the relationship archetypes throughout movie history, whether it was Scarlet O'Hara - Rhett Butler,
Humphrey Bogart - Lauren Bacall, Katherine Hepburn - Spencer Tracy and countless others fiction and non-fiction alike, the one that I relate to the most are the roles of L.B. Jefferies and Lisa Freemont played by James Stewart and Grace Kelly in Rear Window.







Jefferies: She wants me to marry her.
Stella: That's normal.
Jefferies: I don't want to.
Stella: That's abnormal.


Jefferies: She's too perfect, she's too talented, she's too beautiful, she's too sophisticated, she's too everything but what I want.
Stella: Is, um, what you want something you can discuss?

Like failing to respond to the call? Now that is embarrassing!

Stella: When I married Miles, we were both a couple of maladjusted misfits. We are still maladjusted misfits, and we have loved every minute of it.

Jefferies: Would you fix me a sandwich, please?
Stella: Yes, I will. And I'll spread a little common sense on the bread.

See where this is going? Read my article on Kim Novak to really understand it!

So, anyways, Grace had (or has) that sophisticated beauty and elegance that is difficult to put in words. She may not be here in person, but she is still very much so in spirit.

So the moral of the story is: The secret of life is to try not to hurry, but don't wait, don't wait.

Jefferies: She sure is the "eat, drink and be merry" girl.
Stella: Yeah, she'll wind up fat, alcoholic and miserable.


Jeffries: Maybe one day she'll find her happiness.
Stella: Yeah, some man'll lose his.


1 comment:

Denae said...

When I took dance lessons as a kid our dance teacher would talk about the 'grace' of Grace Kelly. I have admired her since then.