Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book Review: Southern in The City

Rating: 5 (out of 5)

I read Southern in The City by Janna Fite Herbison this past week. I've been familiar with Janna's work as a TV reporter in Knoxville during the mid 1990's (in my opinion, one of the best locally at that time), so it was only a matter of time before I did order her book.

The thing I like most about this little book is that it is well, little, so you can easily carry it around with you on lunch break or put it in your purse. At 90 pages in length, you can read it over the course of a day or two.

Janna tells of her experiences from her first trip to the Big Apple at age 14 when she met John Travolta to her thoughts on why New Yorkers should in turn visit the South. I also like the practical travel tips, her taking the time to address the stereotypes that Southerners and people of other regions have of New Yorkers and vice versa not to mention numerous places you can go to while there like the Plaza Hotel, Gotham Bar and Grill to name a few.

(On a personal note, I've long been intrigued to try out Lombardi's when I do eventually take that long-awaited trip to NYC.

All in all, it is well worth the read.

No comments: