Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Had The Most Wonderful Dream


What was this dream? Well, to make a long story short, it is the year 2037 (or so), a few months after winning the election for the President of the United States and becoming the 50th President of the United States. After all the formal ceremonies, we have a big dance at the White House. The finale was me dancing with the First Lady to the music of Michael Bugle!

The First Lady is none other than...


Chelsea Clinton in a red dress!

I get this sense that most boys are just interested in her because of who her parents are (or reject her for the same reason) just as much as I sense Hillary (and maybe Bill) have this idea that she is only going to marry some rich spoiled kid, not some working man who has had to fight for everything he has ever had. And I thought the Democrat party was supposed to be for the working people. Right!
But what do I know?

But the thought of a Ron Paul supporter marrying a Hillary Clinton supporter
is funny even though I think Chelsea would like to breakaway.
I can sympathize with her on this point.


Let's not knock her for being a Clinton though. She can't control who her parents are anymore than you can or I can. She has changed dramatically from her days as an awkward teenage first daughter. I remember watching TV during the Inauguration ceremonies way back in 1992 and thinking that she looked uncomfortable.



Clearly, she has had to grow up a little faster than most of us would at that age. But she did the best she could considering the circumstances.

I don't care if Chelsea's last name is Clinton, Summers, Fortner, or anything else. I would accept her for who is and what she can become, not because of circumstances of which she has no control over.

If you were to write a book about your life, what would be the title? If this dream were to ever come true, I would title it "From Dandridge to Washington: How An Underdog Became President (And Found Love) with a foreword written by Mary Matalin who is married to James Carville in case you didn't know. I think their marriage should serve as a valuable lesson to us all: if you meet someone in politics whom you agree with 80% of the time, then that is as good as it is going to ever get. It is still not a reason to withdraw from a friend in need.

Ronald Reagan delivered a rousing speech in support of Barry Goldwater's presidential candidacy in 1964 Goldwater didn't win, but 16 years later, Reagan would become president.

I'm working on Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Imagine one day, I repeat the pattern.

The cover of the book had a split image of two photographs: on the left was a picture of Chelsea and me meeting on the steps of the courthouse in Dandridge, Tennessee for the first time and on the right was a picture of us posing in front of the White House.

Then again, it was just a dream. But if it is going to happen anywhere in the world, it might as well be the United States of America.

No comments: