Thursday, December 25, 2008

What Are Your Plans For 2009?

Courtesy of Closset Cadeaux

Some of you are dreading Christmas. Some of you are looking forward to it. Then there are those of us who are already working on plans for 2009 and beyond. What can I say? I'm a forward-thinking individual. My general thought on 2008 was good. Not great, but not horrible either. I like everyone have had my share of good, bad, mudane, boring, exciting, etc... Just go through my blog to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Many people are going through layoffs. It is disappointing to a degree.
But from someone who has been through a layoff, it is not the end of the world.

Some of us are glad the election is over while some of us are already making plans for 2012. As for me, I'm mostly focused on taking giant strides in 2009 while aiming further down the road in spite of all that is going on around me.

I've been able to make many connections on Facebook, MySpace, my blog, etc... that could bode well for the future especially in terms of my social activities and career changes that I'm working on. I've also reconnected with a bunch of high school buddies and several people I knew in college.

I've always been a low-key guy, but lately, I've been wanting to break out of my shell. I even had a crazy dream the other night that I was a male stripper. LOL. Not telling who the ladies where in my dream. That's a hush-hush.

So what am I aiming to do in 2009? The economy is bad and I've been cautious about it. But I've managed to save, skimp, pinch pennies without starving to death in order to make serious inroads towards purchasing a house or something along those lines hopefully by this Spring or Summer. If that happens, I will be able to have my birthday party at my own place. I'm thinking about having the usual, but with a added twist thrown in for good measure. Here is a hint: it is a fad that came about in the 1980's.

I worked in television starting out while in college such as Community Television of Knoxville, Scripps Networks plus some free-lance production work. I've not been in the industry in a while, but I still keep in touch with several former co-workers and follow up on things. It may not lead to a job right now, but there are possibilities in the future. Besides, a resume and college degree don't mean much in and of themselves anymore. It is knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time. Trust me! I know what I'm talking about. I am also working on several concepts for movie and TV show ideas. I came up with another one just this afternoon while soundly asleep (most of my ideas come to me this way) that certainly would be timely. I will give you one clue: it is about an investment banker who smokes a peace pipe.

I also have other ideas, but we will have to see. The main thing is to make connections and get some outlines, scripts, screenplays, etc...

I have also started writing songs in the past year. I'm up to about 30 or so now. Ultimately, I will go through the process of copyrighting, marketing, making connections, etc... So I think I would be up for this in the long-term. There are a bunch of singers, some established, some aged like fine wine, and some upcoming that I would like to work with. When it comes to music, I'm generally not picky about it. I like some of today's singers and songs, but I can just as easily listen to Foreigner, Madonna and Michael Jackson.

I also want to take several trips out west. I've been to every Southern state except Louisiana and Mississippi. I've also been to Philadelphia, PA, Cincinnati, OH, and Indianapolis, IN. I plan to visit California next year most likely around the Carmel or Big Sur area. I may also take a day long trip down to L.A. or up to Oregon.

I would also love to be able to meet Joan Fontaine if it comes to that. But only at her invitation. There are so many movie stars from the old days I would have loved to have met or worked with had the opportunity been there. Joan is one of the last from Hollywood's Golden Age, so it would be fitting.

That is about all I have time for now. What are some of your goals and plans for 2009? Please be more elaborate than "I want to lose weight, "I want to get married"? Don't we all? So, fire away!

1 comment:

Marsha Loftis said...

I don't have any grand plans for 2009. I want to have a fence put up in the back yard. Taking the dogs out at 6am and having to sit on the porch while they do their business is getting a bit tiring. I spend a great deal of my free time writing. I am working on being a better writer. I am hoping to self publish by the end of the year (2009. My new house needs inside paint. This should occupy several of my weekends. I am currently trying to help daughter 2 and son 3 find employment. Son 3 also needs to get a drivers license. Teaching a teenage boy to drive is terrifying. :)