Saturday, December 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Sgt. York

On this day in 1887, Alvin York was born in Pall Mall, Tennessee. I have heard the legend of Sgt. York since I was a little boy and saw the movie Sergeant York for the first time one Saturday afternoon in late 1988. He certainly belongs in the same category as his hero Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett and others who were sharp with a rifle although may have preferred to be known for the other deeds they did in life.

This was also my introduction to Gary Cooper. Over the years, I have also come to enjoy many of his other roles like Mr. Deeds Goes To Town and Meet John Doe. But Sgt. York will always be the #1 Cooper movie for me. He was the personal choice of Alvin's to play him and the movie wouldn't have been made otherwise. I also thought Joan Leslie was as cute as a button in this movie.

You can also view more images from the movie by joining the Joan Leslie fan group.

No comments: