Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rep. Susan Lynn talks about election

One of the state legislators that I like the most (which is a lot coming from me) is Susan Lynn. I first became aware of her in 2002 from a fellow libertarian Heather Scott (currently serving as Wilson County Commissioner District 22) when both of them were running for office at the time. Not to mention, she looks good in glasses!


She just put out an email about a hour ago regarding her race:

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your vote and support. It is discouraging that John McCain and Sara Palin didn't win but I do want to share what an exciting election night victory we had in Tennessee.

I was re-elected with 72.5% of the vote. I am very grateful for everyone that helped us knock on doors, make phone calls, worked at the polls, gave their hard earned money, prayed for me and encouraged me, and most of all, for everyone that voted! Thank you!!!

I hope you have heard by now that the Republican's won the Tennessee House of Representatives after over 140 years of Democrat control. I received a phone call at about 9:30 pm at my election night party from our Caucus Chairman Glen Casada - He was overjoyed as he shouted into the phone "Susan, come down town. We think we've won the House!" What a surprise! Every year we hope for such news and this year we finally did it.

The margin in the House is now 50 Republicans and 49 Democrats.

So what changes will that bring?

On January 13, 2009, when the legislature is scheduled to reconvene by Constitutional mandate, we will elect a Republican Speaker of the House. Most likely that will be our current Caucus Leader Jason Mumpower. We're very proud of Jason and of his hard work and planning.

Republican Representatives will be named to committee leadership positions for the first time (in 140 years). We will also have a majority on the committees.

We won't have to walk two miles to our legislative offices anymore because we will more than likely move to the Plaza.

On January 13, 2009, we will choose and elect the Secretary of State, State Comptroller and the State Treasurer. All positions elected in the past by the majority party.

We will also gain the majority on the State Election Commission.

In addition, each of our county Election Commissions will now have a Republican majority. For 140 years there has been 3 Democrats and 2 Republicans - this will now flip.

Best of all, many pieces of legislation that have been killed in the past will finally pass.

Rumors

I'd like to address some rumors because I've had a few phone calls and emails.

Some have feared that the Republicans won't stick together and vote for a Republican Speaker. I can tell you that I am 99.9% sure that we will stick together. Each election year we have asked our members to promise that should we return with a majority that each will vote for the Republican Speaker nominee. Each year every member has taken that pledge. Tomorrow the Republican members of the House are meeting to sign a pledge to vote for our Republican nominee. That should put everyone's mind at ease until we vote on January 13.

Some have heard that the Republican members who have voted for the Democrat nominee for Speaker in the past are being rewarded or bribed for their vote with leadership and committee positions. This is untrue. We (the Republican legislators) have voiced our preference for committees but no one has been promised anything. In the past Speaker Naifeh asked us each year right after the elections what committees we would like to be on. There is nothing unusual about legislators asking for certain committees and no one has been promised anything.

Some have heard that Speaker Ron Ramsey is in favor of former State Senator Roslyn Kurita for Secretary of State. I have heard from a number of other legislators that they have heard that this is true. However, Speaker Ramsey has not sent us any word that she is his preference.

I have been called by former State Senator Jim Bryson and former State Representative David Shirley for the position of Secretary of State. Senator Bryson is very fine man and he would do a very good job. I've met Representative Shirley but I don't know him as well as I know Senator Bryson. He seems like a fine person as well and he seems to have a good reputation. I have told Senator Bryson that he has my vote should he continue to run.

Call or Email Me

I suspect that over the next few weeks we will continue to hear a number of rumors. Please don't become upset pre-maturely. Simply send me an email or call me should something concern you.

I know a number of Democrats read my letter so I hope all of the partisan talk wasn't too much :-) It is all brand new...give us a chance to get our house in order.

Thank You

I want to say thank you one more time for your vote and support. No one does anything alone. It is not my win but our win. As always, please know that I am very proud to represent you in the Tennessee General Assembly. Please call, email or stop by the office if I may ever be of service to you in anyway. It would be my pleasure to help you!

Sincerely,

Susan Lynn
215 War Memorial Building, Nashville, TN 37243
615-741-7462
615-596-2363

No comments: