Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Anne and Grace!


Anne Hathaway and Grace Kelly were born today. I first saw Anne in "The Princess Diaries" and was mostly reminded of Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday. That aloofness and innocence won me over. Maybe one day, we can make a movie together.

Then of course, there is the real life princess Grace Kelly. I won't need to elaborate too much, but I will say this: Of all the relationship archetypes throughout movie history, whether it was Scarlet O'Hara - Rhett Butler,
Humphrey Bogart - Lauren Bacall, Katherine Hepburn - Spencer Tracy and countless others fiction and non-fiction alike, the one that I relate to the most are the roles of L.B. Jefferies and Lisa Freemont in Rear Window.

Jefferies: She wants me to marry her.
Stella: That's normal.
Jefferies: I don't want to.
Stella: That's abnormal.

Jefferies: She's too perfect, she's too talented, she's too beautiful, she's too sophisticated, she's too everything but what I want.
Stella: Is, um, what you want something you can discuss?

Stella: When I married Miles, we were both a couple of maladjusted misfits. We are still maladjusted misfits, and we have loved every minute of it.

Jefferies: Would you fix me a sandwich, please?
Stella: Yes, I will. And I'll spread a little common sense on the bread.

See where this is going?

So, anyways, Grace had (or has) that sophisticated beauty and elegance that is difficult to put in words. She may not be here in person, but she is still very much so in spirit.

No comments: