Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Birthday, Thomas Jefferson


Ever since I was a boy, I have been interested in history. But of all the times in history, no period in time interests me more than the War for American Independence. The only other event that would rival it would be World War II and that largely draws from talking to veterans such as my grandfather who served as a medic in Burma, great uncle who was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge, and a number of others who have told me their experiences.

I would read the history textbooks in class and we would talk in general about the American Revolution, Declaration of Independence, and other events of that time. However, I wanted to know more. So, I would walk down to the library and read more books. I began to admire the accomplishments and failures of the men we come to know as the Founding Fathers and Founding Mothers like Martha Washington and Abagail Adams. One man in particular of interest was Thomas Jefferson. I can't pinpoint exactly what was appealing about him. Perhaps the fact that he penned the Declaration of Independence. Maybe it was his superb writing or maybe how he was able to make his writing come alive by arrangement of words and speaking from the heart. Perhaps it was simply his passion for freedom. Then again, this is a universal trait.

Virginia is one of my favorite vacation spots particularly those of colonial times like Monticello and Williamsburg. Sadly, very few people know history nor plan for the future. Comfort has become synonymous with liberty. Even slaves can be comfortable. I can only hope that we will reignite the spirit of liberty that inspired people from that certain time in history.

So with that being said: Happy Birthday, Thomas Jefferson!

No comments: