Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Baseball Isn't What It Used To Be

I've been reading "The Worst Team Money Could Buy: The Collapse of the New York Mets"

Being a Mets fan back in the 1980's-early 90's, this book brought back some fond memories. Now I know what they mean when they say the good ole days. My dad was a big Yankees fan during his youth. He grew up on Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra and all them. I grew up on Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Howard Johnson, etc... Gooden and Strawberry were Hall of Fame talents in their day. Sadly, it was not to be.
I was also a big fan of the Reds and A's during that time. I liked Chris Sabo, John Franco, Mark McGwire, Don Mattingly, Nolan Ryan to name a few. I could name the entire rosters of all the teams and stats. I enjoyed the movies "Major League" and "Field of Dreams".

I fell out of interest with baseball to a large degree during my college years as many of these players retired or moved on in some other capacity. They just don't make em like they used to. I also think many people will agree with me that Bud Selig is bar none the worst of commissioners. Of course, the owners and historians love him for obvious reasons.

Well, that is all I need to say about my thoughts on Major League Baseball. I will grab a few Tennessee Smokies games this year though.

No comments: